On Earth Day and beyond, Pierce County residents can go green as they tackle their spring cleaning to-do list.
“Indoors and outdoors, sometimes the products and methods we use to clean and spruce up our homes can be harmful to our family and the environment,” said Pierce County Executive Pat McCarthy. “Citizens can make simple changes as they tackle spring cleaning that are healthier for both.”
Before working on their own property, residents are invited to help keep Pierce County’s waterways healthy. On Earth Day, which is April 20, Trout Unlimited and Pierce County are hosting the Puyallup River Clean-Up from 9 a.m. to noon. Volunteers should meet at the parking lot next to Johnny’s Bar and Grill at 1100 N Meridian in Puyallup to pick up a free t-shirt, gloves and garbage bags.
Back at home, residents can use the following resources and simple tips to go green when spring cleaning:
- Visit Pierce County’s online recycling menu for information about how to recycle, donate or dispose of unwanted items at http://www.piercecountywa.org/index.aspx?NID=1509.
- Trade in fertilizer for a natural method that will keep your yard beautiful and your family and pets healthy. Try an organic or slow-release fertilizer, compost mulch, or try out bio-solids with SoundGro or Tagro. For more natural yard care tips, go towww.piercecountywa.org/naturalyardcare.
- Sweep your driveway, sidewalk, and patios and put the debris in your trash. Hosing it down with water sends debris and pollutants into the stormwater system, which drains to local streams, rivers and Puget Sound without treatment.
- If you come across a container of household chemicals that might be hazardous, you can find out how to dispose of it at www.piercecountywa.org/hhw.
- Thinking about a facelift for your outdoor space? Replace your hard surfaces with pavers or other materials that allow rain water to soak into the ground, or redirect roof downspouts to drain rain into a rain barrel or rain garden. For tips on how to decrease runoff from your property, visit www.piercecountywa.org/lid.